Rin is a pale-skinned girl with thigh-length dark-blue hair that is tied in a high bun with bangs hanging over her eyebrows, two hair strands framing her face on both sides, and purple eyes.
When camping, she wears brown boots and black leggings, a pinkish dress, and a green sweater underneath a plaid grey shawl. She usually keeps her hair in bun. Sometimes she also wears a white knit-cap and she has her hair loose. In one of the episodes, Ena Saitō tied her bun into a small teddy bear and a generic Japanese castle.
In school, she wears the typical female uniform (seifuku, 制服) and she has her hair loose.
Her height is approx. 144 cm, slightly shorter than Nadeshiko at 145 cm.
Rin is depicted as having a quiet and reserved personality; preferring to camp alone. Despite that, she regularly converses and texts with Ena Saitō.
Throughout Season 1, Rin is seen slowly opening up to Nadeshiko Kagamihara and the rest of the Outdoors Activities Club members. This culminates in Rin agreeing to participate in the club's end of the year camping trip.
Rin began camping around the winter of her first year in middle school when her grandpa handed her down his camping equipment.
She's a solo camper in the first episode, but throughout the series, she seems to camp with Nadeshiko Kagamihara through the weekends whenever they invite each other out.
- She considered camping with a group at some point. [ ]
Rin encountered her near Lake Motosuko sleeping near the restroom. Later, after dark, Rin checked that area again and was startled by a crying Nadeshiko, leading to Rin running back to her camp and Nadeshiko following her. It turned out Nadeshiko overslept and found herself unable to return home and with no way to contact her family. Rin fed her some Curry Noodles after she heard her grumbling stomach.
Later Nadeshiko would cook a hot-pot as thanks. Rin felt bad afterward and apologized for declining an invitation to group camping with a disgusted face.
They've been texting to each other whenever Rin's on a trip or camping. Ena is the reason why Rin eventually agreed to go camping with others.
Ena usually does the hair bun for Rin in school.
Rin owes her for an incident that happened where the sign is closed, she told her just walked around it because it wasn't bothered to move it away on the road.
Chiaki invited Rin for a camping trip, but got rejected immediately. However, after some thought, Rin texted her that she'll think about it.
Rin met Aoi upfront in a food store and told her good luck on the job. In Episode 11, she bought the fire logs because she owes one for them making dinner.
- Rin's surname Shima means "aspire, hopes, intention, motive, plan, resolve, shilling" (志) (shi) and "wear" (摩) (ma).
- Shima is derived from Shima City located in Mie Prefecture.
- Rin works at Takeda Bookstore.
- Rin technically never joined The Outdoor Activities Club, but she camped with them a few times.
- She likes camping alone.
- Rin's birthday is on October 1.
- The scooter rode by Rin is modeled from the Yamaha Vino.
- Rin often use pinecones as her fire starter. She eventually use feather sticks as her fire starter because it can be easily ignite and she then said that she won't need to use any other fire starters. However, she use pinecones once again as fire starter to teach Akari on how to start a bonfire.
- Rin Highest travel record with her scooter is 450km during their Izu camp trip.
- Rin's house is modeled on a real-life former restaurant located along National Route 300 in Minobu-cho. Its location in the anime is different, which has it located on the side-road north of Route 300, just west of Furuseki.
- Crunchyroll News - Fan-Made Laid-Back Camp Doll Gets the Accompanying Rin It Deserves by Joseph Luster August 14, 2018, 11:05 am PDT